top of page
  • lewissmithlsa

Making HMRC work for you

Updated: Feb 11, 2023

Tax returns in the UK can be a complex and confusing process, especially for those who are self-employed or run a limited company. In this blog, we'll explore some of the key aspects of tax returns in the UK, including self-assessment, the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), and the implications of running a limited company.

Self-Assessment: Self-assessment is a system used by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to collect tax from individuals who are self-employed, have untaxed income, or are company directors. Self-assessment requires individuals to calculate their own tax liability and submit a tax return annually. The deadline for submitting a self-assessment tax return is January 31st, and failure to submit a return can result in penalties and fines.

Construction Industry Scheme (CIS): The CIS is a system designed to ensure that subcontractors in the construction industry receive the correct tax deductions. If you're a contractor in the construction industry, you must register for the CIS and make monthly deductions from subcontractors' payments. The deductions must then be paid to HMRC by the 19th of the following month.

Limited Company: If you run a limited company, your tax obligations will be different from those of a self-employed individual. Limited companies must file annual accounts and a Corporation Tax return, and the company will also be liable for Corporation Tax on its profits. It's essential to seek professional advice when setting up a limited company to ensure that you're aware of your tax obligations and to avoid any penalties or fines.

In conclusion, tax returns in the UK can be a complex and confusing process, but with the right guidance and support, it's possible to navigate the system and ensure that you're meeting your tax obligations. Whether you're a self-employed individual, part of the construction industry, or running a limited company, it's essential to stay informed and up-to-date on the latest tax rules and regulations. If you're unsure about your tax obligations, seek the advice of a professional to ensure that you're meeting your obligations and avoiding any penalties or fines.

35 views0 comments


bottom of page